Previously I found a game engine LOVE (Lua language). Then I planned to learn about it. But then I read about Godot, which uses GDScript with similar syntax like Python. So, I choose Godot over LOVE because I have better experience in Python.
I planned to work on edutainment project since long time ago. Since I have extra time recently, so I invested little time on my hobby project. Using Godot, I revived my old project.
Godot provides a fantastic IDE. It allows to edit the UI, adjust any UI components easily. It provides almost everything I wanted: scene graph, everything is node, audio, video, texture, input, etc. The below is the screencasting of the auto play (with manual input) of the Tetris game.
(The new project is not open source.)
I am outdated
I like to play games (I believe everyone likes to play games). But most modern games are beyond my capability. There are several reasons:
- I am primarily using Linux.
- Not enough time to play game.
- I don’t have gaming computer.
- Though I like play story focused games like JRPG, I don’t like to invest time to collect items, level-up, etc, so I get used to use cheat engine (that’s why I created [memory editor](https://github.com/allencch/med)).
- Mobile games are mostly money-draining AND time-draining.
Because of the above reasons, I feel that it would be better for me to create my own game that fits my taste. Gaming of the 私, by the 私, for the 私.
The games that I love most are Dai Koukai Jidai 2 （大航海时代2） and Taikou Risshiden 5 （太阁立志传5）. The reasons I love these two games:
- Not resource hungry like modern 3D games.
- Good story with the realistic history and background.
- Combination of JRPG, simulation (business), sandbox.
- Player can choose a protagonist from several characters. Each has its own story line, and they are in the same world.
- Realistic game play. E.g., earn interest from bank (Koukai2), monthly meeting and send gift to make friends (Taikou5), etc
I can’t find any other game that can fulfil the above conditions.